Join the Autism Community!

Forgot Your Password?

A new password will be created
and sent to your e-mail address.

Saturday 18 Nov 2017

Bullying at School

HomeForumsQuestions from ParentsBullying at School

Tagged: ,

This topic has 4 voices, contains 3 replies, and was last updated by Avatar of Jam Martin Jam Martin 5 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
May 2, 2012 at 4:25 pm #7315
Admin

This question was asked by Allanna a mother of a 4 year old with ASD:
“Hello everyone!!! I have a question, my son who is 4yrs old and has Aspergers always seems to get picked on and physically hurt by other children. Yesterday I picked him up from daycare with a large egg on his forehead and was told he was pushed off his bike! Why is this happening and how can I teach my son to stand up for himself as not let this happen? I am so upset at how vulnerable he is and that he is a target. What experiences have you had that could HELP me please!!! Thank you”

Here was my response to her:
“I’m so sorry to hear that your son is being picked on at school. It’s hard to say exactly why it’s happening because we’re not seeing the situation in the moment. That makes it really difficult to identify the sequence of events that leads up to him being picked on. That is why it’s important to start talking to his teachers about the situation to see if they can identify what the problem is and why it’s happening. Once you clearly understand the problem (i.e. who is involved, what it’s happening and why it’s happening) then you can start addressing the problem. The most effective way to treat problems like this is to work with both your son and the other children. At this age they are all working on their social skills and could probably use some direct instruction regarding how to be a good friend, what it means to bully someone and how to respond if you’re being bullied. These skills can be taught and talked about with the whole class and then reinforced and practiced in the moment when problems arise. The key is making sure his teachers/day care providers are on board and really address this problem. You can also work on this with him when you go to the park or around other kids. I will try to find some good children’s books that you may want to share with his teachers.”

Autism Community members… do you have any other advice, suggestions or support for this mom?

December 4, 2012 at 4:45 am #7845
Ann O'Keeffe

He is a little tyke, Books such as these through scholastic would be good to use in school and at home.
http://www.scholastic.com/resources/booklist/books-about-bullying-grades-1-2/
There is also a Brandy Bully Powerpoint that is good. Social stories and practicing skills through role play during play time would be a good way to learn how to use the skill when not in middle of the actual event.

October 8, 2017 at 8:44 pm #412469
Paul

My daughter has always suffered from bullying because she has dandruff but since we found this website Como Eliminar la caspa it was healed and that was great!

November 13, 2017 at 6:52 am #415134
Jam Martin

Bullying levels from one-on-one, person bullying via to institution of Essay Help bullying referred to as mobbing, wherein the bully might also have one or greater “lieutenants” who may additionally appear to be willing to assist the primary bully in his or her bullying sports. Bullying in faculty and the place of a job is likewise referred to as peer abuse. Robert W. Fuller has analyzed bullying inside the context of rankism.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.